TIP! The manufacturing process will take about two days. For beginners, it can be difficult, so it may take longer. Take your time to get the product of high quality and delight you with its appearance.
What you need to make a backpack do it yourself
- Genuine leather or its substitutes . If you have old leather products that you no longer use, you can use them as the main material.
- Lining fabric . You can also use the lining material of the jacket.
- Sewing machine with a set of needles and thread for sewing.
- Glue .
- Scissors and stationery knife for cutting leather and fabric.
- Millimeter paper and a ruler for constructing a blank pattern.
- A pencil, pen or felt-tip pen with a set of pins for marking and securing the stitching boundaries of the material.
TIP! This is a rough list of necessary things. If you want to further decorate the backpack, purchase decoration elements.
For convenience, buy all the necessary things in advance and take the material with a margin.
After you have prepared everything necessary for the manufacture, you can begin to create a pattern. It will be needed for further preparation of parts and cutting. At this stage, the future image and appearance of the finished product is being prepared, so you should carefully consider taking measurements and accurately applying marks on graph paper.
A standard portfolio consists of several basic parts sewn together :
- two or more side pockets;
- back and side walls;
- pocket valve;
The process of constructing a pattern consists of several stages, which are done separately for each element.
- Build a rectangle of the desired size for the bottom blank. You can use standard sizes 12 × 33 cm.
- After that, draw an image of the front and back walls measuring 33 × 40 cm. Depending on the height, the height may vary.
- Make the side walls in the form of rectangles, acquiring a wedge view from above, according to the corresponding height and width of the portfolio.
- Then proceed to the marking for the pockets. You can make pockets of the same dimensions symmetrically on both sides or one large front. They should be placed on the outer case of the backpack.
- It remains to build a drawing of pens . Their length and width are also governed by the growth and width of the shoulders of the person for whom the portfolio is being made. You can use the universal method and execute them with tightening straps for adjustment.
In addition, it is worth considering patterns for the inner lining . In size they will coincide with the external frame, so just duplicate the drawings.
IMPORTANT! Dimensions are taken with the calculation of the hem when stitching parts.
Step-by-step instructions for sewing a backpack
- Open the skin and fabric according to the drawings.
- Fold the edges at the bottom and side walls and glue them. Stitch backing with lining. Then glue all the parts together and sew them on the machine. All seams should dry, after which you need to iron them.
- Do the same with the front.
- Start collecting pockets. To do this, grind the outer part and the lining, bending the edges of the product inward. Then attach a zipper to them and sew to the base of the side walls of the backpack.
- Prepare a place to attach the handles. Mark a place on the body and sew the ends of the fabric to it. You can also use special carabiners or rings to thread the straps into them.
- Sew a zipper or locks to close flap pockets.
- At the final stage, you can decorate the finished product in your favorite way: pictures, patterns, rhinestones.
For starters, you can try to make lightweight models without additional pockets and mounts. For the first attempts, you can use other material instead of leather in order to gain experience and not to spoil the leather thing.
Try to experiment and create several options for different styles of clothing. Do not be afraid to connect your imagination and create stylish designer things with your own hands. After several attempts, the process will take much less time, and the quality of the backpack will become better.