Sometimes it’s difficult for parents to keep track of the kids, and their artistic work is manifested in the most unexpected places, for example, on furniture or clothes. What should I do if a child with a pen runs out of faux leather upholstery or ink leaks in a bag or in a clothing pocket? After reading the article, you can make the right decision.
What to choose: professional or self-cleaning?
Professional dry cleaning involves effective results, a minimum of time to remove stains, preserving the color of things.
The only minus of such services is that the procedure will cost much more than home remedies. With self-cleaning, you only need to spend money on stain removers or use improvised means, which will reduce material costs several times.
How do professional cleaning companies and dry cleaners work?
To get rid of traces of a ballpoint pen on expensive things, it is recommended to use the help of professionals. You can order cleaning services at home or take the item to dry cleaning.
Specialists will carry out deep cleaning thanks to professional equipment - extractor. First, the master selects solutions that correspond to the damaged surface and its color, and processes the coating with them. Then he cleans things with a special sponge with a product that forms a plentiful foam.
After removing stains, the master collects the remains of dirt and chemicals with an extraction machine. The completion of the process is the application of a protective composition for long-term preservation of cleanliness. In most cases, professionals are able to cope with any pollution.
Important! If you decide to go to the dry cleaner, it is not recommended to try to clean things with universal stain removers in advance. In practice, cleaning companies often have cases when stains were removed with difficulty precisely because of independent attempts by the customer to cope with them. As a result, pollution penetrated even deeper into the structure of the material.
How can I remove a stain on leatherette at home?
If the stain is still fresh, it is not necessary to immediately run to the store for a stain remover. You can use the means at hand: in such cases, every minute is precious.
Cleaning stains with improvised means
In each house there are many improvised means with which you can clean up the pollution.
- Lather the brush.
- Moisten the material to be processed.
- Rub the surface with a soapy brush.
- After cleaning, remove any remaining fluid.
- It is necessary to wipe the place with a sponge dipped in soapy water.
- Add salt to the contaminated area.
- After 2 - 3 hours, it remains to remove the remaining salt and wipe the product.
Soda can be used not only for baking, but also for cleaning contaminants:
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon of soda in 200 ml of water.
- Wet the sponge with the liquid.
- Wipe off the contaminated area.
- Rinse off any remaining solution.
- Wipe the surface with a dry cloth.
Thanks to this substance, you can get rid of spots on a light leatherette and refresh the color.
- Mix half a teaspoon with 100 ml of water.
- Moisten a cotton pad in this solution and vigorously rub the problem area.
- Clean the surface with clean water.
- Repeat the procedure if necessary.
The composition of cleansers for dishes has the ability to remove a lot of dirt. They can be used safely on any surface:
- Apply dishwashing liquid to a damp sponge.
- Rub the contaminated material.
- Remove any remaining dirt and product.
Hairspray Fixing Varnish
Surely every woman in the arsenal of cosmetics will have hairspray. It can also be used against ink stains:
- Spray varnish onto the contaminated area.
- Wait for the reaction to pass.
- Wipe with a damp cloth.
- Remove remaining varnish.
Attention! There were situations when the varnish cleared the surface of ink, but the gloss remained on the material, which is difficult to get rid of. Therefore, it is recommended to pre-test this method in an inconspicuous area.
- Moisten a cotton pad with alcohol.
- Wipe off the contaminated surface.
- Wipe up residues with a damp sponge.
Face or hand cream
Try to use this cosmetic product not for skin beauty, but for emergency stain removal:
- Apply cream to the material.
- Gently rub the mark from the handle with a brush.
- Remove cream with a dry towel or napkin.
- Melamine sponge . This tool looks like a rubber eraser, consisting of many crystals. Wet the sponge in water - the crystals will begin to dissolve and foam, absorbing pollution. Rinse thoroughly after cleaning.
Attention! Wear protective gloves - the product is not safe for human health.
- Sulfur powder. Rub the stain with a match head, then wash the leatherette with a rag and soap.
- Ammonia Dilute 1 teaspoon of ammonia in 200 ml of water and wipe the contaminated area.
- Solvents . You can use any means that dissolves the paint: acetone, white spirit, gasoline, kerosene, nail polish remover. Treat with solvent, rinse off the residue with soap and water.
- Construction tape . Glue the adhesive tape on the problem area, and after a while remove it. Traces of the handle should remain on the duct tape.
- Means for cleaning leather car interiors . It can be found in any car shop, but the cost of such goods is usually high.
Important! You need to act with extreme caution - highly corrosive substances can save not only the stain, but also part of the coating.
The use of various mixtures
For best results, you can combine several means:
For leather substitute in any color scheme:
- Mix 10 ml dishwashing liquid and 1 teaspoon of salt in 100 ml of water.
- Spread the mixture over the problem area and wait until it dries.
- Remove the remnants of the dry mixture, treat the surface with a damp cloth.
For light materials:
- Combine 50 g of ammonia, 10 g of glycerin.
- Spread the mixture over the stain and wait 10 minutes.
- Remove contamination with the rest of the mixture with a damp sponge.
For white leatherette:
- Pour a small amount of soda onto the handle.
- Squeeze lemon juice on top.
- After the reaction, remove the soda and wipe the product.
Special stain removers
- Pencil To clear a pen’s mark, draw with a pencil in a contaminated, previously moistened place. A foam forms, which after 10 minutes. must be washed off.
- Liquid products, salt or roller . When using chemicals, carefully follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Spray can. Spray stain remover onto stain and remove after proper time.
Features of cleaning fresh and old stains
If the stain has just formed, the simplest folk methods will help: laundry soap, wet wipes. To start, rub that place with plain water using a sponge. Stubborn dirt requires more radical methods, since the ink has already penetrated deep into the structure of the material.
To avoid additional work during cleaning, you should immediately start cleaning the stains - this will save a lot of time, effort and money.
Cleaning light and white leatherette
Make a solution of milk and lemon juice in equal proportions, distribute it over the contaminated area and wait 30 minutes. After the set time, remove the remaining solution and wipe the leatherette with a damp cloth.
Features of cleaning colored, dark and black surfaces
Acids or solvents may not be suitable for multi-colored or plain dark leatherette. Paint may peel off due to aggressive components.
On a note! Safe means for surfaces in any color scheme are salt, soda and dishwashing liquid.
Other methods must be used with caution, after checking the stability of the dye in an inconspicuous area.
How to clean furniture?
- Never start cleaning the stain without first checking the reaction of the material to the product in an inconspicuous place.
- Use gentle methods first. If insufficient, go to stain removers with aggressive components.
- Try to process only the ink stain without capturing the rest of the area.
Savings or waste on dry cleaning?
Which cleaning method to choose - each one decides individually. Do not experiment with expensive products and try to remove complex ink stains yourself - in the worst case, property damage can be achieved, and a valuable thing will take on an unpresentable form that even experienced professionals can’t improve.