Master class on how to sew bedding in a crib
You will need
- natural material (preferably cotton, satin or flannel);
- tape measure;
- several pins;
- sharp scissors;
- meter line;
- a piece of dry soap or chalk;
- threads in fabric color;
- sewing machine.
Determine the size of the kit for newborns
If this is not possible, then we measure the mattress of the child, write down the length and width. We do the same with the pillow and duvet cover.
Before starting sewing, we first wash the acquired material to check its shrinkage and clean it from dust and dirt, and then iron it well with the steaming mode.
You can approximately “throw” in advance how many centimeters the material will sit down, measuring a piece of fabric 10 cm more. Or you can first decant the material on a small piece of tissue 20-30 cm in size : wash it, iron and measure it. So, you can mathematically calculate how much a piece of fabric selected for sewing will sit down.
You can take a piece of calico for sewing. Such material will be coarser, but also quite wear-resistant. But use chintz for sewing bed linen is not worth it. It has a low density and will quickly rub. In addition, it is deformed after washing.
For sewing linen in the baby's bed, the size of 120 by 60 cm, it is recommended to purchase a cut of 300 by 150 cm.
- Sheet. Size: 100 by 150 cm
- Duvet cover. Size: 200 cm to 100 cm
- Pillowcase. Size 45 by 120 cm.
To save on material as much as possible, it is better to use the attached cutting pattern. This will make sizing easier. We outline the contours with the help of chalk and a ruler, cut the workpiece with scissors.
Sewing sheets for a crib
Attention! If the edges are made rough and ugly by the manufacturer, then they are also hemmed.
We bend the ends to 0, 5 cm and once again repeat the same operation. We get such a double bend around the edges. He is pricked with needles or “jiulyat” with threads. We sew the resulting hem on a sewing machine, first one edge, and then “pass” the second.
Tip: If the child is very active, it is recommended to make a sheet with an elastic band so that it does not stray during his sleep or playing in the crib.
Sewing pillowcases for a crib
- We take the cut piece of fabric on the pillowcase, tuck the raw edges (as on a sheet) and flash it on a sewing machine. At the corners, a bend is immediately made on two sides, these places are stitched with one line.
- After this, the material is folded in a fold so that the “face” of the material is inside. The valve is bent so that its tip rests on the other side. We make the usual line with a typewriter, after which we turn the pillowcase on the front side.
- Our pillowcase is ready. It remains only to smooth it on steam mode.
Sewing a duvet cover
- We take the pattern that we prepared for the duvet cover. We make a double bend, “Zhiulim”, or fasten the raw edges with needles and sew them on a sewing machine. We do this according to the same system as with the sheet. But here it is recommended to process the edges so that the finished duvet cover looks better.
- We fold the hemmed duvet cover in half along the lines marked for cutting. We do this so that the front side "looks" inward. At the exit, we get a rectangle with sides 100 by 95 cm. We sew the side of the duvet cover and its upper part.
- The lower part of the product is divided into three parts: two parts of 40 cm, one part of 20 cm. Take one side of the product, stitch to the bottom. On one side we leave twenty centimeters. We do not flash them. This will be a hole into which we will insert our blanket later on. The remaining forty centimeters “pass” on a typewriter. Bars are made at the end of each line.
- We turn out our duvet cover and carefully iron it. The duvet cover for the crib is ready.
The resulting set is washed, ironed and covered in a crib.
Padding bedding for a small child is recommended with soft sides.
We sew sides in a crib
This device from the fabric will help protect the baby from drafts, noise and bumps on the bed rods.
We will need a piece of cotton fabric, a filler (synthetic winterizer, foam rubber).
For sewing the sides in the bed for the newborn, we need a fabric with a length of 550 cm and a width of 110 cm. The optimal filler thickness is about a centimeter. Before cutting, we erase the material, allow it to dry and carefully iron it.
We sew, while sewn in a frill. In this case, one edge of the product is left unstitched. If you wish, you can not do a frill. For the frill, we select a harmonizing color (you can use the tape) or just take the rest of the material for the rim.
We cut filler
We make the marking of foam rubber (sintepon) with a felt-tip pen or pencil. Drawn pattern cut with scissors. Remember: the size of the filler should be slightly smaller than the fabric part, about half a centimeter on each side.
Fill the side
For the convenience of filling the headboard, it is not necessary to tailor the foam rubber exactly to the size of the part, you can vertically cut it into two parts. This will facilitate its insertion into the side, but on the cover you will need an additional seam.
The sidewall, like the headboard, is better divided into two pieces. It’s easier to put the filler into the side through the lower unstitched seam than through narrow side seams. Sew the lower seam of the side.
Tip: To facilitate operation, it is better to flash the lower seam of the sidewall on your hands. Such a seam is easier to expand in order to change the filler or wash it.
We decorate the sidewalls with ribbons. At the same time, such ribbons will be ties that attach the sidewall to the rods. To facilitate marking the places where the ribbons will be sewn, it is recommended to attach the part to the crib and mark these places with chalk. If there is no crib at hand, it is best to attach the ribbons in the middle of the side and at the corners.
For convenience, you can sew a couple more separate halves, approximately equal to half a large sidewall. Such pieces can be placed like a double headboard to create additional protection for the baby's head or put it on the side of the crib. Alternatively, you can put them in a chest of drawers, and then use them to change clothes or swaddle a baby in a crib.
Recommendations for creating a side
For covers it is recommended to use materials with a high density. It can be satin, calico or teak. Material and colors are selected depending on the wishes and preferences of the parents themselves.
It is better to take the material that does not require delicate washing, dry cleaning and special care. It should be easy to wash. This can be ordinary chintz or fabrics with water-repellent impregnation.