Gods and goddesses lived on the Greek mountain of Olympus; Zeus was their king. The weather depended on him, he sent elements, dominated the fates of people, ruled celestials. Outwardly, he was a taut man with a long beard. His outfit consisted of white toga and a colored tunic with gold trim . But the main distinguishing feature from other gods is the golden crown of ivy leaves around the head.
What will be needed to create a costume?
The task of making a costume with your own hands can be solved in two ways: tunic + toga or tunic + toga. For both, we need the following:
- 2 brooches or 2 clasps on chains;
- bright fabric (1.5 - 2 m);
- narrow golden tape from 2 m;
- wide golden ribbon 60–80 cm;
- Velcro piece (Velcro fastener);
- thick paper for the crown;
- needle, thread;
- gold spray paint.
It is possible that even a centimeter may not be needed, since all calculations are quite approximate. But if he is at hand, for the second version of the costume, be sure to use it.
The basic item of the men's wardrobe of the ancient Greek is a tunic. He put on his naked body, chipped on his shoulders and draped, picked up by a belt. Noble citizens wore a toga on top of the tunic, which was also draped, but either on the shoulder or under the belt with the tunic.
First, let's make the basic costume item:
Take the white sheet and fold it in half so that the fold is on the left. This is the lateral connection of the tunic, the second side either remains with free ends or is slightly picked up by threads from the inside;
- so, a sheet folded in half is our tunic. Here is the top and bottom of the product, one fixed side and two free ends for the right side. Now our task is to try on the length of the product directly on the child. The width of the sheet - this is the desired value ;
- if the length is too big, then bend the upper edge outward to the required width;
- the top of the tunic is formed in several options: you can connect the two free ends of the sheet together, releasing the ends so that the left side of the product rises to the armpit and fasten.
- the second option is to connect the top of the tunic at two points evenly spaced along the edges of the neck. To do this, you need two brooches;
- decorate the bottom of the tunic with a decorative braid with a golden ornament: either glue or sew it on the bottom.
The basic part of the costume is ready. The next stage is the construction of a toga from bright colored fabric.
Important! In Ancient Hellas, purple was considered the most luxurious color after white. Rich citizens adorned their clothes in different shades of it. But for a carnival costume, it is not necessary to take this color. Also suitable blue, cyan, red, beige, cherry, gold.
Let's take a walk:
- we bend the fabric in the same way as we worked with the sheet;
- we get a product blank, which can be processed with golden braid along the length and at the free ends . The costume will look great;
- the free ends should be fixed on the left side, in the same way as the tunic on the right;
- if on the left side you get two fasteners, then remove the bottom and pin the ends of the tunic and toga together on the shoulder.
Toga is ready, you should do a very important accessory - a belt. Let's make it out of a wide golden ribbon, bending the edges inward and stitching Velcro pieces on top of them.
One of the key points of the outfit is shoes. The ancient Greeks wore sandals, consisting of numerous straps reaching to the knee. All this was attached to a flat leather sole. It is problematic to make such shoes with your own hands, and therefore it is worth borrowing something similar to sandals from a summer wardrobe.
Important! In the absence of options, take the usual flip flops, wrap the rubber parts with a golden ribbon and lead the lacing of her legs from her ankle to the knee, tie at the top.
Everything, the costume of Zeus is ready. We collect it for fitting: first, the boy must wear a tunic, then toga . All fasteners and joints should be in place, and the folds straightened. After that, a belt is put on, under which all the folds of drapery are straightened and beautifully laid out.
We sew a tunic:
- fold the fabric (sheet) in half. The upper fold will be the shoulder part. Then again in half, shoulder to shoulder;
- we cut out a tunic from the resulting rectangle: at the top we have a ready-made solid shoulder, at the other end - the bottom of the product, which is not worth reducing in width. We retreat from above centimeters 20-30 from the top and the same from the edge;
- from this point we draw a smooth line connecting the sleeve with the side, we lead it to the very bottom, expanding to the sides;
- draw the neck of the required width;
- on the intended contour we chop off the details with pins;
- cut out, then remove the pins;
- grind side seams;
- process the neck;
- bend the bottom;
- we sew a golden ribbon on the neck, the ends of the sleeves, the bottom of the tunic;
- the product is ready, it remains only to iron the suit.
Things to Remember
If the tunic has fasteners on both shoulders, you can outline the junction slightly closer to the neck . In this case, the cutout will be a “boat” and, slightly stretched, will not form folds. And if you want easy drapery of the neckline, then connect the top at the points farther from the neck.
If the belt tape is not dense and stiff enough, you can hem another layer of fabric from the bottom or just starch it.
The toga can be replaced with a wide draped detail, sewn directly to the left shoulder of the tunic . To do this, lay the bright fabric in the middle with folds so that this part is equal to or less than the length of the shoulder (measure from the neck to the end of the sleeve). Attach the draped fabric to the tunic along the shoulder contour. It's enough. Under the belt, beautifully straighten the fabric from the left edge to the right. You can even stitch the part at the bottom right with two ends (front and back) together.