A skirt is one of the most popular items of women's wardrobe. It is very easy to get confused in the multitude of their names. About what is called a skirt with pleats, what are its features you will learn in this article.
History and significance
This skirt is called pleated, or simply pleated. First you need to understand the meaning of this word. It is borrowed from the French language in which it is a participle. The verb “plisser” means wrinkle, wrinkle and folds. Hence the meaning of the participle “plissé” - “gathered in folds” (about an item / product) or “wrinkled” (about a person).
In addition to accordion pleats, there are models of “corrugation”, the word is also borrowed from French. The verb gaufrer means extrude / print embossed pattern. Corrugated products have smaller folds that expand to the bottom. Fabrics are selected light, flowing, translucent.
The ancestor of a modern pleated skirt is a kilt. The product owes its appearance to the culture of Scotland. This is an element of the highlanders' traditional clothing: it is a piece of pleated fabric wrapped around the hips and secured with special devices. Most often complemented by a small handbag, which is located in front. It is made of fabric in a cage - tartan.
In ancient times, it was used by warriors, as it did not constrain movements, retained heat. In the modern world, a kilt is used as an element of an official (traditional holidays, parades) or wedding costume. A very small number of Scots use it as casual wear. If only because for modern people who do not understand the culture of the people, a man in a skirt looks quite comical.
Production method: the fabric is processed by a special press, parallel folds are formed on the fabric, which remain on the product for good.
The Spanish-Italian fashion designer Mariano Fortuni patented the method, who created pleating manually. Initially, they were intended for use at home, later went into wider use, became fashionable.
- The product is universal. There is a huge variety of styles, freedom in the use of fabrics, flowers, patterns. The model can be either strict, suitable for an office style, or more light, free or even festive. The main thing is to decide on the necessary style and choose a model.
- This manufacturing method is able to correct the flaws of the figure. Pleated models are suitable for girls who want to hide the volume in the hips: in this case, you need to choose products with large folds. The corrugated version is capable, on the contrary, to create the necessary volume on a thin figure. Curvy models will make the angular silhouette more proportional and feminine: they emphasize the waist and make the line of the hips smoother.
- Styles. There is a huge variety of models suitable for certain cases:
- length: maxi, midi, mini;
- folds: bow, circular and oncoming (on midi and mini models);
- the most popular print is a Scottish cage, it is often used to create a school uniform. There are also monophonic options.