There are times when it is necessary to remove the length and shorten the skirt, this may be due to unforeseen circumstances. For example, some fabrics have the properties of being stretched, and deformation occurs when the washing is improper. There can be many reasons. Usually with such products they do this: put or hang in a closet, leaving until better times for later. Why again store and wait? Let's remake the products a bit and wear them as before.
Useful tips for shortening the skirt
If it was necessary for some reason, shorten the skirt, proceed as follows. Put the product on yourself and for a more complete look, use any high-heeled shoes, this will allow you to evaluate the look yourself. Then visually in the mirror, pretend yourself in a new product and at the same time make a few dashes, just labels. Next, remove the skirt and turn inside out. Draw a cut line, then back off a few centimeters and draw a second line.
In order not to make a mistake with a long one, bend the bottom of the skirt along the first line, pin it with pins. Put on for the second fitting and look in the mirror, while twisting in different directions and try to sit down. If everything suits, then boldly cut off the second line. Then hem the hem of the product.
How to shorten a skirt with your own hands
Depending on the skirt model:
- A-line skirt. To get started, measure from the bottom of the skirt to the desired length and make preliminary marks using chalk or soap remover. It is desirable from two sides. Then try on yourself and let someone look from the side. This is required so that the new product does not look too short sitting on you. Then remove and draw a cut line, but at the same time add a couple of centimeters to the bend when sewing the lower part. Without this allowance, the new product will turn out to be not only short, but will simply be spoiled. ATTENTION: For a trapezoid, the line shape is always rounded, so the line should be the same in shape with the previous line of the lower part. If one of the parts was long and the other short, then we add exactly as many centimeters from the bottom and sides as is necessary for the uniformity of both sides. Cut off the excess fabric and boldly sew it on a sewing machine, but first make a trial manual seam, this will make it possible to more accurately see the differences in the length of the sides of the skirt and if, when these facts are revealed, quickly eliminate them so as not to rip the product again;
- Direct. The easiest way to shorten the skirt is a straight cut style than any other. We put it on a flat surface, gently fold the edges tightly together. From the bottom we measure to the desired length and draw an even line. You can use the ruler for convenience. Next, we take special sharp scissors and cut off the unnecessary part.
Attention! Do not forget to leave 2 cm for the allowance for new seams, for finishing the bottom.
- With folds. Before you begin to shorten the pleated skirt, it is required that the product hangs a couple of days. We recommend that new, used products be washed first, and only then trimmed. In a regular studio, I iron the product with a special iron over the folds, and then shorten it. And only then the fabric is corrugated again. You cannot do this at home, so do so. Spread the belt. Pull out the old seam threads. Remove the length from above, leaving the folds as they were. Pin with pins and try on. Look in the mirror from the side. Put on your blouse, jacket and look again. If everything suits, then shoot. Place the product on a flat surface. Fold in the folds in the initial position and pin on the second circle, only 5 cm lower, this is necessary so that when cropping, the folded folds do not separate. With sharp scissors we cut off the excess tissue. Make a preliminary manual seam so that each fold is firmly in contact with the base of the skirt. Sew along the edge of the sewing machine. Hemmed edge, insert the inside of the belt into the same place. Use the pins and secure the starting position. Again, make a manual fishing seam. Sew on the old tracks on the belt. After you sewn the belt to the skirt, remove the second lower pins. Next, use a steam iron to iron the belt. This is necessary so that the product of the place of the binder does not puff up and does not bring discomfort. Let the new product sag one night, after which you can safely wear the thing.
Reference! If you shorten this product from below, then the folds will be damaged due to the violation of the structure.
- Pencil skirt with a slot. We cut the slot. Unzip the bottom and retreat to 3 cm, but do not forget to leave 1.5 cm on the hem. The slot can be inserted above or completely narrowed. If the product has a lining, then it is required to shorten the new length of the skirt. Check that the length of the product and the slots are the same and that the hem section is not visible from the front. Connect the hem of the hem and the lining to the hem of a blind hem. The lining should hang over the blind seam. Turn the product on the wrong side and iron.
Top Skirt Tips
In most cases, the best way is to shorten the skirts from above. We will describe in more detail what types it is suitable for:
- With a solid finish to the bottom.
Attention! If you trim the bottom, then the structure of the picture will be violated.
- Extended from the bottom. Allows you to save the extension format.
- With decoration elements on the bottom.
- Plisse. In this case, simply without options, only the method from above is suitable at home.
The method from above always starts with a spacer of a belt or an elastic band. Only then by the usual standard. You need to know this. Still, it’s quite important to draw on the fabric, because each material has special various properties that go sideways after the first wash. Imagine that a new product was redone, then washed, dried, ironed, and it sat down. And your work done, which was done correctly, including fitting, shortened the skirt at times. So, to prevent this from happening, we strongly recommend wetting and washing before alteration. There is nothing complicated in this, and an extra reinsurance will not hurt.
Use the services of a professional seamstress and the problem will be solved quickly and efficiently. After all, any craftswoman from the studio knows exactly what to do and what to do in this case. It is simple enough so as not to rack your brains, but trust the master.
In special cases, when the product has two patterns, bottom and top. What to do in this case? Or leave the bottom, or the bottom, otherwise it will not work. But if the picture is on the insertion part of the trapezoid according to the figure, in the form of a straight rhombus, then just unzip the part with the decor into a shortened product. And then choose options for shortening.
Attention! You can also sew and shorten along the connection line. Much depends on the style.
Layered styles are shortened as follows:
- Spread whole at the seams. Then start shortening from the main base on the top, then from the lower tier, and only then go to the upper edge.
- The upper tier is usually just alter slightly below the previous place, if required by the figure. This applies to overweight women with non-standard forms of hips and waists. Take care not to get a square. But first you need to connect the upper part, and then the lower tier.
Attention! Layered styles assume the initial opening of the seams, if the side parts are sewn in and do not go around the very base.
Before shortening the skirts yourself, carefully study the sequence of work. This will protect your product from ridiculous damage. Use the advice of professional seamstresses who know exactly how to shorten any style of skirts.