Long skirts look great on each figure, and if you correctly select a pair for it, it makes a stunning bow. If you still can’t find your ideal model, do not despair. After all, you can sew it yourself! For such work, special skills will not be required, even those girls who sewed for the last time in school lessons will cope with it. So, what is needed for a skirt and how to sew it correctly?
Styles of long skirts
The styles of long skirts are extremely diverse. Their feature is that the long model is suitable for any occasion and any time of the year, if you choose it correctly.
It can be both pleated models, and magnificent skirts, the sun. Options with belts and other decorative elements look very nice. One-year skirts are an ideal choice for formal occasions. Strict, but at the same time elegant and sophisticated, they will complement the evening look and will accompany you at the most important moments of life.
Recently, skirts in the form of a trapeze have become very relevant. They are ideal for hiding extra pounds, and are also appropriate at work and on a walk with friends.
Measures for tailoring a long skirt
In order to sew a long skirt, you will not need a large number of measurements. It will only be necessary to measure:
- hip girth;
- length from waist to outer foot;
- waist circumference
- stride length.
Not everyone understands why the last measurement is needed - its task is to help you sew such a thing that would not hamper the movement. This is a common problem for novice craftswomen. The skirt itself is a simple thing, but it is easy to make a mistake with the sizes. To avoid such errors, you should carefully check all measurements and add exactly as many centimeters everywhere as you need, taking into account your parameters.
In order to measure the stride length, you need to take the usual step and measure the circumference, clasping the ankles.
How to calculate the amount of fabric per long skirt
Calculate the amount of tissue that you need, be sure to need in advance.
In order to do this, you need to add two lengths of the product and add another 20 cm. Using this simple formula, you can choose the right fabric.
Important: also do not forget about allowances for seams.
DIY midi skirt
Pattern for a midi skirt
For work, you will need cotton fabric of the right amount, which you have already calculated before. Pay attention also to the proportions of length and width.
- The first step is to redraw the pattern of the direct model, which can be taken as a basis.
- Then you need to cut the finished drawing from the top of the tucks to the bottom and close the tucks. This is done in order to expand the hem downwards, which is the silhouette of the trapezoid.
- The bottom of the extended pattern is drawn smoothly, resulting in two almost identical elements - the back and front.
- To tailor the skirt obliquely, you will need a detailed version. If you have never performed such tasks before, it is better not to try to do everything right away on the fabric - it is much easier to fix mistakes on paper.
- Now proceed to lengthen. It is made to the length that you need, taking into account previously taken measurements.
Also remember that some distance should be delayed for the waist, that is, it does not count towards the length of the product itself. This is exactly the moment that often raises questions from inexperienced craftswomen. But if you are careful and accurate, then everything will surely work out the first time.
How to sew a midi skirt: a step-by-step guide
The skirt belt can be supplemented with adhesive lining, and a fastener can be made on the side. If you don’t want to sew in the lock, it will be enough to supplement the belt with an elastic band - then the product will not fall from the waist, and you will save yourself from unnecessary trouble.
Important! The bottom of the thing must be processed with a blind seam.
In general, in order to embroider a thing on a pattern, you will not need special skills. All the most difficult is already behind: the pattern is made in accordance with your parameters and is completely ready.
Do-it-yourself skirt to the floor
Building patterns for a skirt on the floor
In order to sew the same trapezoid, only longer, you just need to lengthen the previous pattern. Since this is all clear, consider another option: a skirt with six wedges. According to this pattern, you can also sew a large number of different models, taking into account some additions.
This time we will begin to draw "from scratch", without a foundation.
- In the middle you need to draw a fold line. Two halves of the wedge will be built on both sides of the center line. Measurements need to be combined with the increments that will be needed to obtain an adequate-sized product.
- Now you need to calculate the wedge in width at the waist and hips. From the upper waistline you need to draw the length of the hips in the center.
- Then the length of the skirt is laid down. On the waist and hip lines to both sides of the center, we carry out half of the calculated values.
- After that, it remains only to connect two points on both sides and extend the line to the end.
- We got one wedge, this part needs to be cut out and on its basis to make six more of the same wedges.
Tailoring skirts to the floor
Now it remains only to process the top and bottom of the thing in accordance with the rules that exist for each type of fabric.
Features of tailoring long skirts
To avoid these troubles, you need to correctly measure and count allowances.
You can also make a lining, because a long skirt can stick to your legs or tights, especially in the hot season, which causes some discomfort. Lining eliminates these problems and does not require much effort in the creation. The main thing is to choose the right fabric for her.
Now you know how to sew a long skirt yourself and what you need for this. Remember that such a thing made by your own hands will surely become a subject of pride and will cause admiration among others for its originality and sophistication.