The dress of a tight-fitting cut, which resembles a case in its silhouette, created a furor in the world community, becoming a classic and an integral part of the female image.
In the XX century. the dress was massively introduced by Coco Chanel, Cristobal Balenciaga and Givenchy, putting it on one of the first places in the fashion world. It is worn everywhere and on the street, and in some institution, at a business and social party.
What fabric to choose for a sheath dress
The basis for choosing the fabric is:
- complexity of cut;
- woman's age;
For cold pores, drape, knitwear, and boucle are ideal. In summer, thin, light and hygroscopic materials will be appropriate: linen, cotton, silk, chiffon. These types of fabrics crumple, which causes great inconvenience, so you should give preference to natural fabrics with synthetic additives.
Models for a business image are made of plain fabrics, and a bright pattern or interesting pattern will be appropriate in dresses for every day. For evening or wedding bows, the most expensive and effective fabric is used.
To decide what kind of material to use, you need to think about the cut and style of the chosen sheath dress, if the design is complex, it is beaten with a soft and easily draped fabric. A simple design model assumes a dense and textured canvas.
Attention! Shiny material is able to visually increase the volume of the figure, so girls with forms need to choose it carefully, and slender women, on the contrary, will do just fine.
Women of age need to give preference to darker monophonic colors, and young bright color combinations will be just right.
How to take measurements to build a pattern
For proper sizing, and to be precise, some rules must be observed:
the person being measured should stand evenly, without changing her posture;
- to be in underwear;
- for designation and convenience of taking measurements on the waist line, an elastic braid is tied;
- protruding points are visually indicated.
When working with a centimeter tape, it is necessary to apply it tightly for accuracy of taking parameters, increments are made after and will be added depending on the chosen design and model.
The main measures are:
- Half neck circumference - the tape measures the neck and divides the result in half.
- Semi-girth of the chest - the shoulder blades are covered and a centimeter above the chest is held and is divided into two.
- Half the width of the back - the shoulder blades measure up to the arms.
- Half-hips - covers the buttocks and is done on the stomach, the result is divided by half.
- Shoulder length - runs from the neck to the upper point of the shoulder.
- The length of the sleeve is from the protruding part of the shoulder to the middle of the palm of the hand; when measured, the arm is bent.
- Half-waist: with a centimeter, the waist is covered and half the size is taken into account.
- Half Shoulder Width - Measure your shoulder width.
- Center of the bust - measured between the protruding parts of the chest.
- The length of the front to the waist is measured from the shoulder along the bulge of the chest to the waist.
- Chest height - from the shoulder to the top of the chest.
- Front shoulder height - the distance from the point of the shoulder through the highest point of the chest to the waist.
- Product length - from the convex part on the back of the head to the required length.
Step-by-step construction of a pattern for a sheath dress
There are 4 types of dress silhouette:
- tight fitting;
All of them are built according to one pattern with allowances for freedom of silhouette.
To build a pattern, the following steps are taken:
- A grid is drawn, consisting of a rectangle, where its height is the length of the product.
- Vertical lines are marked, indicating the back, shelf and armhole.
- The neckline, oblique line of the back are built, and the shoulder undercut is marked on it.
- There is a curved line of the armhole of the back. Similarly to the back, the shoulder of the shelf is built.
- A thoracic undercut is outlined.
- The curve of the armhole line is connected at the found points.
- Waist and hips are measured. Marked undercut waist on the back and shelf.
- The points of the lateral bends and the bottom of the model are connected.
- The drawing is transferred to carbon paper - the patterns are ready.
Simple sheath dress
The extraordinary popularity of the dress is due to its versatility and the breadth of design from everyday to the festive version. First appeared, it was a sleeveless dress with a midi length and a semicircular neck. Today it has undergone great changes, in addition to the introduction of various types of sleeves, there are products with a long mini or floor.
Sheath Dress with Peplum
A peplum is a small piece of fabric sewn to the belt and in a classic variation gathered in a shuttlecock, like another skirt, increasing the ratio of the difference between the bust and hips. It is worn by all regardless of form and age. This model is recommended by many stylists and, according to forecasts, it will remain relevant for a long time, which means it must be in the wardrobe.
Important ! A dress with a peplum is not recommended for girls with a pear shape, as it visually makes the lower part of the hips even heavier.
Sheath Wrap Dress
The style resembles an ordinary home dressing gown, which was presented with a floral ornament to the public, who reacted to this with caution. Solid color options for the dress were favorably received. At first they were only black and white with the name wrap dress. Today they are bright and provocative colors from a huge type of materials and are very popular, because in addition to extreme convenience and charming femininity, it gives the wearer a special romanticism.
How to sew a dress case do it yourself
It is better for a beginner not to take complex models and use the help of sewing textbooks or other sources. Next, the parameters are measured, and the prepared pattern is taken.
Necessary materials and tools
If a beginner is sewing, it is worth taking linen or cotton, since they are not so complicated and capricious in work.
The butt is selected - this is the lining, glue, lightning, threads, buttons, etc.
Of the tools, the most important element is the sewing machine, and not necessarily the latest model, an overlock is required next to it to process the edge.
Next on the list are replaceable machine needles, scissors, a thimble, pins and, of course, ordinary needles, chalk.
Advice! The professional iron will be of great help, since all the mistakes and shortcomings of the seamstress can be corrected with it.
Sewing consists of:
- sewing out the grooves on the front and back;
- seams on the shoulders and sides.
We sew a skirt for a sheath dress
- grooves are scribbled;
- half of the skirt are connected and stitched together;
- everything will be ironed.
- the front bodice is applied to the front of the skirt, with the front sides to each other, sewn together, having previously connected the undercuts of both parts, forming a straight line on the front part;
- the prepared and stitched lining is sewn;
- after the work done, the hidden zipper is stitched;
- the neck and armholes of the sleeves are processed;
- all assembly steps are heat treated.
Features of tailoring a sheath dress
Sheath dress - clothes outside of time and space. It is applicable everywhere, it is sewn from any fabric, proving once again its versatility and practicality for all occasions.