But all these advantages of a knitwear outfit get only if it is correctly tailored.
Reference! The word knitwear literally translates as “knitting”. This type of fabric involves a knitted fabric of threads of different thicknesses.
Features of knitted dresses
The characteristics of clothes are related to the features of the canvases from which it is sewn:
- Knitted fabrics are stretchable.
- These fabrics are hygroscopic, often breathable.
- Most tissues are not able to hold a constant shape.
- At the same time, the knitwear fits any shape, transfers the most difficult cut.
- Before sewing, such canvases must be processed - washed, ironed.
- These tissues form spools that must be removed.
- Tight-fitting knitwear is able to emphasize all the flaws of the figure.
Several classifications are possible depending on the composition:
- Cotton . The basis is cotton threads. Interlock, footer, pique, capiton, waffle, trouville.
- Woolen . Consist of the wool of various animals.
- Mixed. Contain various types of threads, fibers. Ribana, velor, jersey, academician.
- Synthetic . The composition contains synthetic fibers, including lavsan, cellulose, polyester, polyester, as well as fleece, oil and modal.
To sew a knitted dress with your own hands, you must first make measurements for women or girls:
- Chest circumference. Horizontally protruding points of the chest.
- Waist circumference. On a waist horizontally.
- Hip girth. On the protruding points of the hips and buttocks.
- Shoulder girth. Around the shoulder, near the armpit.
- Neck circumference. Around the neck going into the jugular cavity.
- The length of the sleeve. On the lowered, slightly bent arm to the intended end of the sleeve.
- Dress length. On the back from the base of the neck to the estimated length of the product.
- Shoulder length. From the base of the neck to the point of articulation of the shoulder with the arm.
- Hem Width The estimated width of the dress along the hem. It is measured strictly horizontally.
- The width of the back. Measured horizontally over the widest part of the back near the armpits.
Advice! Based on measurements, it is possible to make a more complex cut according to the principle of this simplest pattern.
- In the back seam you can make a slot.
- Model a shawl or turn-down collar.
- Shelf - 1 part with a fold.
- Back - 2 parts, or a part with a bend. Choose for yourself.
- Sleeve - 2 parts.
Advice! It is appropriate to cut the patterns of parts into several parts, making inserts from another material, for example, elastic lace.
- We place the details of the pattern on the fabric, cover it, do not forget the allowances.
- Cut out.
Features of tailoring
- Knitted fabric.
- Shoulder pads are optional if you need them.
- Ready slanting inlay or cut from the main fabric of the dress.
- Threads in tone.
- Tailor's chalk, scissors.
- Sewing machine. It is desirable with a double needle and a special foot for knitwear.
Advice! Cut out the details you need to grind a narrow zigzag stitch.
Important! The bottom of the sleeves and the hem of the dress are stitched with a double needle of the sewing machine. Such a needle requires two spools of thread. On the front side of the parts there will be a double stitch, and on the wrong side - an elastic zigzag.
Let's analyze the stages of work:
- Parts of the parts that we do not want to be stretched are duplicated with non-woven fabric.
- We sew the middle seam of the back.
- We sew shoulder seams.
- We sew side seams.
- We sew the seams of the sleeves. We process their lower part.
- We put the sleeves in the armholes, pin them off with pins.
- Stitching the sleeves in the armholes.
- We process the neck with a slanting inlay.
- We carry out a hem of the bottom of the dress.
- Try on.
Dresses are universal clothing for women at all times. Without them, the wardrobe will not be complete. There are never too many dresses!