The high demand for dermatin is justified by the following characteristics:
- Frost resistance. The material performs its functions well even at subzero temperatures. It also helps to keep heat in the house, so it can be used on the front doors;
- Durability. The material retains properties from 7 to 10 years;
- Water resistance. The material has moisture resistant properties, which eliminates damage to the product or insulation;
- Soundproofing. The material can be used for the front door, since noise will not enter the room through the canvas;
- Ease of care. To preserve the appearance of dermatitis, just wiping with a damp cloth. You can use a special cream that will give the leatherette shine;
- Antiseptic properties. It does not give in to bacterial decay, mold and other pests;
- Resistance to aggressive chemical environment. The material can be washed with any household chemical product;
- Low cost. Sheathe dermatin affordable for the average family;
- A wide range of textures and colors.
Instructions - sheathed with dermantine
- surface preparation;
- padding with insulation;
- dermatine upholstery;
- decor accessories.
Each stage has its own nuances, so you need to carefully familiarize yourself with the features of the above items.
If the skin is replaced, it is necessary to stock up with a knife, pliers and, if necessary, a screwdriver. The procedure is as follows:
- Loop off.
- Dismantling accessories.
- Using pliers, all decorative nails are removed.
- Dermatine and insulation are removed. Getting rid of a heater can take some time if it was attached to a metal door with glue.
- The surface is prepared for cladding.
If before the door was not beaten, then all the accessories are simply removed. It is necessary to remove all the elements that bulge on the surface. A flat surface should go under the dermatine, so you can even out the relief using a plywood board. You can fix it with ordinary nails. It is important not to forget to process the wood with special tools.
- Foam rubber. Low price, wide range of density and thickness. It has an operating period equal to dermatine. It has medium insulating properties;
- Batting. Inexpensive material, with a life of up to 30 years. However, it creeps in over time, and can absorb moisture. It is toxic when burned;
- Isolon (a subspecies of polyethylene foam). The most modern option. It has good insulating properties. The most expensive of all materials, but the final cost will not be too high.
The insulation is fixed on a wooden surface with a stapler. From the outside, from the edges, you need to deviate up to 8 cm. A heater is applied to the entire area, without indentation. Marking is applied to work with a stapler or hammering nails. The step between brackets or nails should be 10-15 cm. Processing is carried out around the entire perimeter.
For a metal surface you need glue, which is also applied around the perimeter, backing up to 8 cm from the edges. You must not forget to cut off the insulation on the handle, lock and eye.
Preparation of tools, accessories
To rationally use time, before upholstery you need to acquire a set of necessary tools. The kit includes:
- stationery knife and, if necessary, scissors;
- stapler (if not, use a hammer);
- brushes (for metal surfaces).
The list of tools and materials for wooden and metal doors is slightly different. Therefore, the technology of plating for each material has its own. It is also important to acquire all the materials at once:
- staples for staples or nails (wooden surface);
- glue (metal);
- decorative nails;
- braid (in case you need to additionally fix the dermatin, and decorate the door).
Reference! It is not difficult to choose decorative nails by design, since the market is full of products of various shapes, sizes and colors.
Important! It is necessary to ensure that the insulating rollers do not peek out from the gates.
Dermatin should not cover the door to the brim. A few millimeters need to retreat, which will provide free movement.
Often used figured decoration with decorative nails. Soft insulation allows you to create a relief on the surface that will completely transform the door. Be sure to mark the places for installing accessories with a marker. Further, cloves, which usually have a removable decorative hat, are hammered into the intended places so as not to damage it during installation.
There are a large number of drawings that can be created on the surface: from simple points to geometric shapes such as rhombuses, squares. On the Internet you can find many schemes for decorating with furniture nails. A decorative thread can be stretched between the nails, which will change the pattern and relief.
For a metal door, you need to come up with a drawing at the preparation stage in order to fix the bases of the screw buttons with glue. In the insulation and dermatin, small holes for screw buttons are made in advance.
Upholstery of a wooden door: video
Upholstery has its own nuances. Wood needs care and protection. Therefore, often wooden doors have an unpresentable appearance. A good option for restoration is upholstery with dermatin. The tree must be treated with an antiseptic. When working with a wooden canvas, the lining must be secured with a stapler. Since glue is required for an iron surface, it is much easier to beat a wooden cloth with brackets. Carnations are used at the edges.
In order to be able to decorate the doors correctly, you must adhere to the instructions given in the video.
How to sheathe a metal door with dermatin?
A metal door does not require insulation rollers from the outside. The size of the insulation should be 1-2 cm less at the edges of the surface area. Dermatina need to take a piece more 5-6 cm at the edges than the area of the door. This is necessary for bending. The upholstery process consists of the following steps:
- Glue is applied around the perimeter, backing up to 2 cm, and with thin strips over the area.
- Insulation is applied, and is pressed for a while. The drying time of the adhesive is indicated on the packaging.
- Starting from the top, glue is applied to the back of the product at a distance of 5 cm from the edge. Press dermatin for the period of glue setting.
- Similarly, the procedure is performed on the lateral edges. It is important to stretch the fabric to a uniform relief. Sometimes you have to cut off excess pieces that will prevent you from closing the door.
- By the area of the door, the frame is fixed under the foam. For this, strips having the thickness of polystyrene foam boards are used. The rails are fixed with metal screws, which are fixed in the holes previously made.
- All large seams and joints are sealed with foam.
- Foam plates are installed in the frame, which are fixed to a special glue. The gaps between the plates and slats are also sealed with foam.
- A sheet of plywood, even with the area of the door, is nailed to the slats.
- Further, the procedure is similar to upholstery of wooden products. It is only important to ensure that decorative nails are nailed to the location of the rails.
On the inside, the warming rollers are attached to the door frame. They should be placed flush with the dermatine on the hinge side. On the back and top, the protrusion should be up to 5 mm. Below the roller is located at a height of 1.5–2 cm from the floor.
Tips, tricks, and things to look for
- Low fire safety. Highly flammable material, which emits corrosive smoke when burned;
- Not the most durable material that is easily scratched and cut;
- With mechanical damage, it will not be possible to return to its previous form.
There are also important points to consider when choosing a dermatin:
- The material must be elastic. The hardness of dermatin indicates a fake;
- Choose a coarser canvas;
- A pungent smell indicates a poor quality canvas.
When upholstering with dermatine, it is important to maintain the sequence of the process, and to take into account the features of the materials used. If the technology is not broken, then such upholstery will last up to 10 years.