Poor work can greatly ruin their appearance. Wrong option puffs or pulls matter, and also warps the fabric. In order to avoid such a situation, let's figure out with the help of which tool and how to achieve the perfect result.
We will tell you how to sew a secret lock into a skirt.
Materials and Tools
First of all, you need to figure out how you will carry out the process.
- Manually . For this work, you will need safety pins, threads in the color of the fabric, the right zipper and a needle .
- Using a sewing machine . The list of required items is almost the same as with the manual method, with the exception of the tool. In this case, you need a sewing machine.
In addition to all of the above, when inserting zippers into clothes made of thin material, there is a risk of damage to delicate fabric . Therefore, it is advisable to use cushioning material during operation . Dublin is best suited for this purpose. A small strip of dublin is swept to the place where the fastener is sewn with an adhesive surface to the fabric and ironed.
Important! With independent sewing of a skirt, zipper should be inserted last.
Which sewing machine foot is needed
If you are an inexperienced seamstress, then when stitching the fastener mechanically, you better use a special foot.
Often, household machines are not equipped with this device, so it needs to be purchased separately. And also you should know that, depending on the manufacturer and model of your unit, this device may differ in appearance.
Sewing a hidden zipper
Sewing a hidden zipper is a little different than the usual process.
To get started, you need to process the edges with an overlock or slanting inlay . Then use a piece of chalk (a special piece of chalk sold in a fabric store) to draw a seam line from the inside out. This procedure must be performed on the wrong side, retreating about one and a half centimeters from the edge. Then glue the stitching place with a strip of Dublin and slightly bend the edge to the wrong side. Take the crease line, but do not iron.
How to sew a zipper in a skirt
Then continue the work according to the instructions given.
- To the bent edge, attach the half of the open fastener face down, so that the teeth coincide with the fold line.
- Align the top of the product with the edge of the zipper.
- Gently pin the cloth of the clasp to the fabric with safety pins. Place the pins across the future seam.
- Use a contrasting thread to sweep the fabric and zipper.
- Then carefully bending the teeth, sew one side of the fastener to the skirt .
- Sew the second side in the same way.
- Close the clasp.
- Iron the seams.
Attention ! All seams should go from top to bottom.
How to sew a zipper in a skirt with a belt
For those who want to sew a new thing with a belt, this process will be slightly different from the already given. A few simple points are added to the above actions.
- The belt blank is folded in half, ironed and sewn on the front side.
- Carefully connect the stitches of the zipper with safety pins.
- Sew in the fastener according to the instructions above.
- Sew on the second half of the belt.
How to sew a zipper on a lined skirt
Sometimes the model requires duplication of the main fabric lining. And in this case, after the main steps described, you should correctly sew the gasket as follows.
- The lining part should completely repeat the main workpiece .
- Sew the lining to the base;
- Attach the edges of the lining section to the bent edges of the main part, on which the fastener is fixed.
- Iron all the seams.
In this case, all the seams are located between the main fabric and the lining.
The specifics of working with a knitted skirt
When working with knitted clothes, you need to be especially careful and careful not to spoil the thing. It is also required to know several nuances that greatly facilitate the process.
- For this work, purchase special knit needles . They differ from the usual ones in that they have a rounded tip. This form allows you to push the fibers of the thread during sewing without sacrificing appearance.
- Experiment with stitch width . For these purposes, use a small sample of knitwear.
- Be sure to glue the place of sewing with the help of Dublin or non-woven .
- When mechanically stitching, be careful that the knitted edge does not protrude beyond the teeth .
- If you knitted a skirt yourself, you should knit a kind of pocket along the edge of the product with English elastic. And then, without closing the edge, sew the edges of lightning into it.
- When working with a knitted thing, the main thing is to prevent the canvas from fidgeting. Therefore, try to carefully fix all the parts before stitching . If you are not in a hurry and treat the process with sufficient attention, then you will get a great end result.
And finally, let me give you a few recommendations that will help ease the workflow and lead it to a wonderful result.
- Iron the fastener before using it . If cotton tape is used as the base, use the steam function. This must be done because sometimes after washing, this thing can stretch or, conversely, sit down. So this simple action will save you from unpleasant surprises.
- When choosing a zipper foot, opt for a metal model . This option will last you longer and more efficiently than its plastic counterpart.
- Pay attention to the diameter of the needles used . Try to choose the thickness corresponding to the stitched material. Ideally, it is best to try on an unnecessary piece of fabric.
- To duplicate the allowances for the fastener, it is better to use special cushioning tapes: form bands and contenband . The first option contains a central basting thread along which it will be easier to lay a seam line. It is especially suitable for elastic fabrics or products tailored along an oblique. The second type is usually glued with a protrusion for marking the seam by one millimeter.
- If you need to cut off the extra length of the fastener, be sure to rearrange the bounding rivets . They will not allow the slider to pop off.
- If you don’t have a tailor chalk on hand, do not be discouraged, it will be easily replaced by a small piece of soap.
Using the above recommendations, you can easily embed a hidden zipper. And do it right, even if you don’t know much about sewing and, as they say, is a complete beginner in sewing.