If we consider such a skirt as everyday, then you can wear it with any T-shirt or blouse, suitable in color. Or in cold weather to complement the image of a knitted sweater, leather jacket or jeans.
If as a costume for dancing, then she will perfectly emphasize all the advantages of the figure and hide her flaws. A fairly loose cut does not constrain movement and even decorates the dance.
At first glance, it might seem that the manufacturing process of this product is very complicated and only a professional can handle it. In fact, enough basic knowledge and ability to sew on a sewing machine.
We’ll tell you how to sew a gypsy skirt with your own hands.
- The peculiarity of the gypsy skirt
- Features cut length
- Cut details
- What fabrics are suitable for sewing
- What you need for sewing
- Materials and Tools
- What measurements are needed to build a pattern
- Material calculation
- How to build a gypsy skirt pattern
- How to sew a gypsy skirt yourself
- Bottom processing
- Useful Tips
The peculiarity of the gypsy skirt
Features cut length
Help The more common cut of a gypsy skirt is very simple, called the “double sun”.
The peculiarity of such a cut is that if you take the skirt by the edges along the side seams and lift it with outstretched arms, these edges converge above your head, forming a circle .
The length of this product is usually half or slightly shorter, depending on the purpose. It should be borne in mind that with this model, the tissue consumption will be very large, usually at least 4 meters .
Traditionally, two skirts are made.
- The upper one is sewn of beautiful, bright fabric. It is very wide, usually the sun or double sun.
- The lower one may be shorter than the upper one, preferably the same color. But the material can be taken cheaper, lining. According to the style, most often a sun or a bell.
There is also a longline technique, for it the length of the skirt is divided into 3-4 parts and the right number of rectangles is cut. Their width depends on the desired volume.
A skirt-sun is two circles, where a larger radius is equal to the length of the product with cut out circles in the center of y. Their length is equal to the semi-waist.
Additionally, you need a rectangular strip of fabric - a stitched belt of a skirt . If desired, there may be frills or shuttlecocks that are cut separately.
What fabrics are suitable for sewing
The choice of material for a skirt for a girl or an adult woman depends on your preference. But keep in mind that the volume of the skirt will be large; when sewing from dense fabrics, it will be too heavy .
- If we sew a product for carnival or dance in, you should choose light, flying and bright fabrics. For example: satin, staple, rayon, etc.
- For everyday wear, you can choose the same materials. It is worth paying attention to plain natural and less sliding fabrics, such as batiste, linen, denim.
IMPORTANT! If you use fabric with a pattern or in a cage, you need to add another 20-30 centimeters to fit the pattern at the seams.
What you need for sewing
Materials and Tools
- Paper for a pattern.
- Tape measure
- Knitted doubler (or economic option: non-woven).
- Fabric basis.
- For the belt: elastic or concealed zipper, button.
- For decor at will: satin ribbons, fabric for frills, slanting inks, fabric for a lower skirt.
What measurements are needed to build a pattern
To take measurements, it is necessary to clearly indicate the waist. You can do this by tying it with a ribbon, preferably with a narrow elastic band. Do not tighten tightly and place it on the narrowest section parallel to the floor.
After taking a measurement of the waist circumference (From), measure the length from this line along the back. The length of the product can be any at your discretion. But usually in gypsy skirts it is customary to do it on the floor or to the ankle.
To calculate the material, you need to know all the measurements and the formula for calculating the radius of the small circle (waist line): R1 = (From / 2) / (2 * π), where π is a constant equal to 3.14.
A double sun needs two lengths plus two small radii and an additional 4-5 centimeters for allowances. This is for one half of the skirt, that is, the result must be multiplied by two more.
The length of the frill or oblique hem for the bottom is calculated by the formula: L = 2πR, where L is the circumference, R is the length of the skirt.
For example, if Ot = 60 cm and Di = 75s m, then R1 = (Ot / 2) / (2 * π) = (60/2) / (2 * 3.14) = 30 / 6.28 = 4, 7 cm
2 * 75 + 2 * 5 + 5 = 165 cm / one half.
2 * 165 = 330 cm of fabric is necessary for a double sun.
IMPORTANT! The fabric before the cut must pass the WTO (wet-heat treatment) so that it shrinks and the finished skirt does not become small after the first wash.
If you do not have a good steamer, then it will not be superfluous to wash the fabric before cutting.
How to build a gypsy skirt pattern
For clarity, we take the same measurements as for the calculation of fabric:
- From = 60 cm;
- Di = 75 cm.
We calculate the radius of the cutout at the waist of one half of the double sun .
R1 = (From / 2) / (2 * π) = (60/2) / (2 * 3.14) = 30 / 6.28 = 4.7 cm
The calculation of a larger radius looks like this.
R2 = Di + R1 = 75 + 4.7 = 79.7 cm, this value can be rounded to 80 cm.
On paper, draw a straight vertical line, mark point A on it, from which we draw a semicircle of radius R1 = 4.7 cm. This will be the waistline of the skirt . From point A we also mark 80 cm as often as possible and draw a second semicircle, this is the bottom. Pattern is ready.
How to sew a gypsy skirt yourself
- We fold the fabric in half and pin the resulting pattern with pins. The vertical with point A lies at the fold . Chalk with allowance and cut out two such details. Allowances are made on the side seams of no more than 1 cm, on the bottom 1.5–2 cm. If we process with a tie, then an allowance is not needed. If there is a frill at the bottom of the product, then its width must be subtracted from the length of the skirt and make an increase in grinding.
- We make a product belt . To do this, cut out a rectangle, the length of which is equal to From + an increase in the freedom of fitting (approximately 0.5-0.7 cm). Also do not forget about allowances. We glue the belt with Dublin or non-woven and iron in half.
- We cut the resulting circles along the shared thread on one side, these will be the side seams . Fold the side seams of the two parts face inward and grind them on a sewing machine. You can process the edges with an overlock or zigzag seam or with an oblique trim . In very thin fabrics, for example, chiffon, side seams are best handled back and forth. In this case, we fold the side seams inside out and grind it by 0.5 cm. Iron the seam, turn it inside out and cut it by 0.5–0.7 cm. Iron the seams on the back. From the top left, leave a small distance under the zipper unstacked. Usually they use a secret, they will be covered by the folds of the skirt and will not be noticeable at all.
- Stitch the belt to the waist line, stitch the zipper. It can be sewn to the top of the product or to the waist. In the second case, first we sew in a zipper, and then a belt. At the same time, do not forget to leave an allowance for the button.
- It is better to carry out bottoming in such a product on a mannequin or on the person for whom we sew. Measuring an equal distance from the floor, we leave marks with chalk. On light fabric, tags can be made with pins. Cut off the excess tissue and then process the bottom.
IMPORTANT! A skirt cut by the method of half-sun, sun, double sun, etc., should be hung on a hanger or mannequin at least for a day.
Then the fabric in places along the oblique will stretch to its maximum, and the bottom of the product after alignment will be flat. If there is no time for this, it is possible to make a deflection of the bottom along the oblique part (about 1 cm shorter).
There are three main ways to process the bottom.
- Moscow seam . Sophisticated, but with the correct execution gives a more accurate look, suitable for thin fabrics.
- Oblique tie . Good for denser fabrics. If the product is made for dancing or carnivals, it can be trimmed with a contrasting color to give a more aesthetic appearance.
- The easiest and fastest way is to overcast the edge, make a hem to the width of the overlock stitch and stitch it by 0.1 cm.
After processing the bottom, we iron well and steam off all the seams and the skirt itself.
- The belt can be made with an elastic band, but in this case it should be tight so that the skirt does not slip and holds tightly at the waist.
- If the length of the skirt is more than 70 cm, it will not pass along the length on standard fabric 150 cm wide. In this case , halves of the circle are cut .
- If you are a beginner, it is better to sweep the parts first so that the material does not slip during grinding and there is no unnecessary landing. And then lay the machine line and remove the manual seam.
- The skirt can be decorated with lace, frills, oblique trim and embroidered with beads and beads. Colors should be selected depending on its purpose.
- Before attaching the belt, you need to check with a centimeter tape the circumference of the waist. If it is larger than the belt, then it is necessary to attach the fabric with an iron. To avoid stretching, glue the top allowance with a thin strip of doubler (about 0.5–0.7 cm). In this case, you must ensure that there is no unnecessary landing or stretching.
- If you want to get a gathered shuttlecock, then its length should be greater than the length of the bottom. How much more depends on the build volume you want. For uniform assembly on the top of the part, we lay 2-3 auxiliary machine lines 0.5 cm wide at a distance of 0.5 cm from each other. After stitching, remove the thread.
- Takeu should be chosen for the base material. If the base is satin or silk, then the inlay should be satin. If the fabric of the skirt is staple or denim, then the inlay should also be cotton. The best option is to cut it yourself out of the same material as the skirt itself.
Your gypsy skirt is ready! Enter the image and do not forget to take a photo!