- On a thinner figure, the thing sits looser, due to which it becomes longer.
- An outdated model can be reanimated by making it shorter.
- Bored product length.
- Change of style.
If a dress is chosen for shortening and a firm decision is made to modify it, you need to know the main points, using which an excellent result will be obtained. This is especially true when you need to shorten quickly. We’ll tell you how to make a short dress out of a long dress.
Materials and tools for shortening dresses
Before starting work, you should prepare the tools and materials that will be needed for shortening.
- Spool threads matching the dress and matching fabrics. For example, for chiffon dresses, it is better to use thin synthetic threads with glitter.
- Sewing machine.
- Ruler, square.
- Flexible meter.
- Chalk on the fabric or you can replace it with a thin remnant. Take into account the color of the fabric, as the trace left by the chalk may not be visible. You can use a special water-soluble marker.
Important! The line from the water-soluble marker can only be washed off with cold water. If wet, a trace will remain.
- Sharp scissors.
- Pins with a head for attaching the bottom.
- Special adhesive tape (for certain cases).
How to shorten a dress from different fabrics
Once everything is matched, you can get to work.
First of all, you need to decide on the length.
- Put on a dress, make a mark on the future edge, pinning a pin on it.
- Having removed the dress, bend the edge along the mark and fix it along the length of the entire hem.
- Try on the outfit again to make sure the desired length. Then remove and mark the line with chalk so that it passes 1 - 2 cm below the desired edge. This is a margin for hem.
Important ! This procedure must be carried out regardless of what fabric the dress is made of.
- Cut the fabric along the intended line.
Lightweight natural fabrics
The easiest way to process the bottom of the dress is made of light fabrics (cotton, thin linen, etc.). It is necessary to make a turn-up and perform machine stitching or make overlock processing.
Thick heavy fabrics
If the fabric is sufficiently dense, for example, costume or jersey, then you can sew on the bottom edge of the braid for trousers or a slanting trim .
- Attachment is carried out on the front side. Then bend the hem inward and gently steam it off with an iron. It is better to carry out the procedure through wet gauze or thin tissue. This eliminates the possibility of adhesion of the dress material to the iron. The bottom can be strengthened by sewing with a straight seam, or you can not perform this action.
Knitted dress requires special trim bottom . This will not stretch the seam along. Processing is carried out either by a sewing (flat) seam or a line on an overlock.
- Overlock processing is very simple. The only condition is that you need an overlock. The product is cut 0.5 cm below the desired mark . Then along the edge, without any bends, a line is sewn. It is better to use the average width of the stitch for knitwear; for chiffon and silky fabrics, a narrow stitch with frequent stitches is performed.
- The stitch seam needs an additional hem of 2.5 cm . On the lower edge of the hem, the seam is processed on the overlock. Then, a hem is made along the intended line. And on the seamy side, a second seam is made, which is 1 cm spaced from the edge of the product. Then, stepping back the width of the foot (0.5–0.7 cm) from the edge up, the second seam is sewn. After that, they are carefully treated with an iron through a damp cloth or in a steamer mode.
Dress processing with a decor on the bottom
In case there is a need to sew lace or lace to the bottom edge, then excess fabric is cut from the beginning. Then carry out the processing of the edge and adjust the lace on the front side, laying it on the fabric of the dress.
How to shorten a dress along the waistline
For skirts or hem of the dress, where there is decoration with stones on the bottom of the product or pleated, shortening is done along the seam at the waist. The work is performed according to the following algorithm.
- The belt or skirt is evaporated.
- Measure the length at the waist on the flared part, so that later it is combined with a seam or belt.
- Given the seam allowances, markup is performed.
- Cut off the excess.
- Try on the waist of the dress or the waist of the skirt.
- From the larger size, subtract the smaller one and divide the result into two. The resulting number is centimeters that need to be subtracted at the side seams. Otherwise, it will not be possible to dock the top with the bottom of the dress or a skirt with a belt.
- After equalizing the seams, the parts of the product are grinded.
The cut off edge of the product is bent by 1 cm and attached by a straight seam on the front side, departing from the edge by 0.5–0.7 cm.