The boots are simply indispensable in cold weather and are an important element of the wardrobe of every fashionista. It is leather boots that will last a long service. Nowadays it is difficult to choose the right shoes when a lot of fakes made of polyurethane leather appeared on the market. Good fakes are not always distinguished even by a merchandiser, to say nothing of you and me. But let's still look at some of the signs by which it is possible to distinguish boots from genuine leather from artificial.
How to identify leather boots in a store
Leather shoes for most are a planned purchase. And it will be unpleasant if you buy a substitute for the price of the skin. If you decide to buy boots, then pay attention in the store to:
- Tag. In branded shoes or simply high-quality there is a leather sample on the tag that was used to make shoes. But here you need to be careful and watch so that the tag does not differ from the material on the product. Also look on the same tag or box from what material the shoes are made.
Important: Pay attention to such inscriptions as enuine leather (in English), vera pelle (in Italian) and cuir (in French), which means genuine leather.
- Wrong side of boots. In natural boots, the wrong side will be fleecy, similar to suede. In skin substitutes, as a rule, the wrong side is tissue.
- Thermal conductivity. When you hold your hand on the surface briefly, the skin will heat up a little, if it is not a natural material, then it will not heat up, and on the contrary, your hand will sweat.
- Shoes themselves. Often, especially in men's shoes, tongues, zippers and other areas that do not carry any load when walking are made of leather, and the rest is made of synthetic materials.
- Elasticity. Press lightly on the tip of the shoe or even bend slightly. On fake shoes there will be creases, and the skin will be in place.
- Smell - a natural product has its own specific smell, even if well-soaked. Cheaper synthetic boots have a chemical smell.
- If the finished edges are visible, then pay attention to this. Unnatural materials have a flat and sealed edge. The skin will be processed in the form of a rounded roller.
- Be careful when choosing boots with a pattern. The larger and brighter the pattern, the more difficult it is to distinguish shoes with natural materials from artificial ones.
How to verify the authenticity of boots at home
If you come home, the purchase raises doubts about the presence of genuine leather, then you can carry out several manipulations.
Genuine leather has high breathability. To determine, take a few drops of water and drip onto the boot. If the water lingered and even absorbed a little, then you are the owner of natural boots. In the case when the liquid simply rolls up and does not linger, then this is a fake.
There is another sure way to determine the naturalness of shoes. Take a sample of material from the label and for a few seconds bring up a lighter or a lit match. It can also be neatly done on inconspicuous areas of shoes. If the material starts to hiss and melt, then this is definitely a substitute.
General tips for determining the quality of boots
Remember that leather boots will cost a little more than from a substitute. An exception are some shoe brands, which mainly produce a line of shoes from a substitute and stand, they are like natural ones (Mustang, Marco Tozzi).
An important factor in determining the naturalness of materials is the porosity of the skin. If you look closely, the peculiar pattern on the skin is kind of unique and uneven. It is thanks to these pores that the material breathes.
The skin is heavier and thicker than a substitute. Because of this, against the background of the same pair, the substitute may look somewhat more massive and coarser. Leather boots will not be light in weight (if this is not a designer model). Take a closer look at the fittings and lining. If the inside is protected by a lining, then pay attention to it too. A quality product has the same lining.
As you can see, there is no need to make hasty purchases, but just to carefully consider and feel the goods.