But it so happens that the product has still retained its excellent shape and can serve, but the clasp is broken. In this case, of course, you should not throw away the thing, because it's enough just to give it in for repair. And if the problem is simple, then you can fix it yourself. In our article, we will talk about the possible causes of the malfunction and tell you how to fix it.
Possible reasons why the zipper on the bag diverges
Before proceeding with the repair, you need to identify the cause itself. Carefully inspect the product, find the defect. Typically, the clasp on the bag diverges for the following reasons:
The most classic option is to weaken the slider due to prolonged use. The fact is that a relaxed dog can not connect the edges and, therefore, fasten it. With extremely weak fixation, the slider can even slip past the bounding parts and completely jump out.
- Loss of one or more links (teeth) due to severe mechanical damage is also possible.
- Perhaps the reason lies in the castle. If the slider is made of aluminum, then it may be damaged or split, which also contributes to the discrepancy.
IMPORTANT: if the reason cannot be established and all the proposed methods are not suitable, it is better to contact the master or insert a completely new fastener.
What can be done at home if the zipper on the bag diverges
- Pull the dog to the bottom of the product and unfasten the clasp.
- Use the pliers to grab the bottom and top edges of the slider.
- Gently squeeze the edges without extra effort. This will ensure that the bag is fastened properly.
IMPORTANT! Such an operation is recommended to be done no more than two times, since in the future this can lead to breakage and abrasion of the product. A complete replacement will be required.
What to do if a plastic lock diverges
After squeezing, be sure not to press the zipper too much and it closes freely.
TIP: it is better to replace plastic with a metal product.
What can be done with the help of improvised tools when metal lightning diverges
It happens that lightning diverges at the most inopportune moment, when practically nothing from the toolbox is at hand. In this case, we advise you to use the materials at hand and save the bag for some time.
Since metal products are very strong, you cannot close them with your hands. You can try squeezing with two sticks or stones, but this is unlikely to work out. You can use the above example with pliers.
- The best way to fasten your bag is to use pins or paper clips. Pierce the fabric of the braid, connect the part together in several places.
- If the zipper diverges due to free play, you can attach a paper clip to the runner and fasten it to the side inserts or rings on the purse.
After this temporary invention, be sure to replace the clasp or repair it.
DIY zipper repair on a bag
But first you need to prepare the following materials:
- new lightning (snake with a lock);
- thread with needles.
How to replace a slider with metal zippers with your own hands
Replacement can be full or partial (lock only). They resort, for example, to a partial replacement of a dog. In this case, you need to follow these steps:
Remove or cut the stopper on one side.
- Cut the thickening of the braid at the castle level.
- Remove the lock by gently shaking it and pushing it away from the fastener.
- Insert the new slider at an angle, first in one half, then in the other.
- Sew on the incision site.
IMPORTANT! For easy removal, you can use oil and grease the clasp.
How to replace a dog with a plastic lock
Can I replace the zipper on the bag myself
If it is necessary to completely replace it, it is best to contact the master, he knows exactly how to choose the right zipper and can do everything quickly. But if this service seems too expensive, you can try to replace it yourself.
In principle, it is quite easy and possible to perform at home. This will require a new clasp. Before starting, you need to remove the old zipper from the bag. After that, you need to sew a new one in its place.
TIP: for the convenience of sewing, you can not remove the completely old part, but leave a tape from it, on top of which we sew a new fastener.
How to extend the life of a zipper on a bag
In order for a thing to serve you long and reliably, you need to properly care for it and sometimes inspect the condition. Lightning has its own requirements for use, thanks to which they will not go bad for a long time:
Keep foreign objects, especially small stones and sand, out of the links and slider. To remove them, use brushes and rags.
- Be careful to carry things, do not overload the bag and make sure that it is full. If the lightning converges with difficulty, this will lead to its breakage or rupture.
- Beware of falling or direct impacts on the clasp case. This can cause cracking and cracking.
Following these simple rules, you can use the bag as long as possible. But, and if there is a need to replace the lock, resort to the proposed operating instructions.