For any person, a towel is an indispensable household item. Terry cloth is most often used as a bath towel or a towel for the face and hands. Choosing a good towel that will last you a long time is not an easy task. How to do it - read on.
Terry towel selection criteria
In order for the product to last at least 2-3 years and not become rude after just a few washings, it is necessary to pay attention to several important points before buying. Why spend money on a thing that you will not use, or will it fail very quickly?
What size is needed?
- for hands - 30 × 50 or 50 × 70 cm;
- for the face, legs or as a small towel for the body - sizes from 50 × 80 to 50 × 100 cm;
- bath towel - 100 × 150 or 80 × 160 cm.
Of course, other sizes may be on sale.
Important! In stores, sets of several towels of different sizes are often sold. This is very convenient, because, firstly, all the textiles in your bathroom will be the same in style, and secondly, it is very functional and saves time when buying.
Evaluate the quality of the fabric
When buying textiles in a store, we can only evaluate the external qualities. Always pay attention to the following points:
material integrity. On a quality product, all terry loops should be approximately the same length. There should be no loose or protruding threads ;
- uniformity of coloring, color fastness;
- edge processing: pay attention to the quality of the hem and the seam : the threads should not be knocked out of it; if the edge is edged, then evaluate whether it is well sewn to the main material (the frequency of stitches should be high enough - about 25 for every 10 cm of fabric).
The stiffness of the product depends on the length of the pile and in general on the material. A short pile is always stiffer than a long one. Please note that very often soft-touch textiles contain synthetic materials, many of which do not absorb moisture well.
The density of a good towel should be at least 450-500 g / m² . It is likely that a thing with a density of less than 300 g / m² will not last you a year.
High-quality terry cloth should absorb water well. This property depends on the composition of the material, as well as on the type of thread from which it is made. The best absorbent properties are natural fabrics, especially cotton. Pay attention to the label : it is believed that the best cotton towels are sewn in factories in Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Turkey and Egypt.
As for the threads from which terry cloth is made, they are of three types:
- double - from two twisted threads;
- twisted (one tightly twisted thread).
Prefer a towel from combed terry cloth . It will provide maximum absorption of water.
How to navigate the compositions?
The best terry towel should consist of natural fiber . Most often they are made from:
- cotton - a product from cotton terry is incredibly soft and gentle, perfectly absorbs moisture;
- flax - such textiles will last a long time, since it is quite durable;
- bamboo - in addition to the above properties, a bamboo product has antibacterial properties.
Important! On the label of textile items for the home, you can see the designation, at first glance, indicating an absolutely natural composition. It may look like this: "100% cotton (P) . " In fact, the composition contains an artificial fiber polyester, which by its properties, although it resembles cotton, is not identical to it.