Why are ski goggles (mask) necessary?
Just as a girl does not go out without a handbag, so a rider does not risk getting up on skis without a mask. What to choose ski goggles for snowboarding, alpine skiing and other sports, we will consider in detail.
The ski accessory performs the following functions:
- Protects from damage. From high speed, ice of frozen snow can get into your eyes, there are also trees along the way whose branches are very dangerous. Thanks to the ski mask protecting the upper part of the face, damage can be avoided.
- Protects eyes and face from the wind .
- No skier dares to ride in the mountains without glasses. After all, they protect the retina from burns, which can be easily obtained due to the bright sun, shiny snow surface.
- Provides high-quality image visibility. Snowdrifts, frozen crust, snow, improper lighting, fog, snowfall affect the view of the terrain, elevation changes. Poor visual perception makes the rider unable to concentrate instantly to get around obstacles.
To purchase a good product and not regret the choice, you need to consider the quality of the lenses, the dimensions of the accessory, the density of its fit to the face, as well as the possibility of changing lenses. Experienced riders are already familiar with the nuances of choice, and a beginner skier only has to get to know them.
Glasses can fog up, distorting the visibility of the picture, so it is recommended to purchase an accessory with two lenses connected to each other. Conscientious manufacturers use a lens coating called antifog. It repels moisture, which protects the mask from fogging.
Close attention should be paid to the shape of the lenses . If they are concave horizontally and vertically, and also have different thicknesses (the central part is much thicker than on the sides), then the microreliefs will be clearly visible, despite the weather and improper lighting.
Filters are called the color of the lenses, on which the quality of visual perception depends. Black lenses are suitable for riding on a sunny day, and blue or transparent lenses are ideal for rental in the evening.
In order not to waste time changing lenses, it is prudent to purchase models with polarized lenses . They are ideally thought out and endowed with a special grill on the surface. Thanks to this decision, they receive only vertical light waves, without passing through the elements of chiaroscuro arising from snow.
The type of filter should also be considered:
- Gray lenses transmit 25% of the light. They are used for riding in sunny weather, because they several times improve the perception of depth.
- Yellow pass through lenses 68% of the light. Ideal model for cloudy weather.
- The pink model, transmitting 59% of the light, is characterized by improved depth of field.
- Dark brown lenses transmit up to 10% of light waves.
- A transparent, colorless version, transmitting up to 98% of light waves, is used for night vision.
For comfort , a fan and, preferably, a battery operation should be built into the mask . The modern device can be adjusted, creating excellent conditions for skiing. Air circulation ensures that glasses do not fog up over a long ride.
Before buying, the mask must be measured . It should fit perfectly to the face so that there is no empty space between the skin and the mask. Otherwise, cold air will penetrate into the ski attribute, violating the internal atmosphere. Also, the mask should match the size of the face.
For reference! The frame of the glasses has a rounded, comfortable shape. It is equipped with an adjustable elastic strap.
Ski mask model selection
Several interchangeable models for all occasions - this is gorgeous. But not everyone can afford such a pleasure. Therefore, it is recommended to purchase a universal model. It is designed so that the skier can easily change the filter. About the optimum is brown with an orange tint . It is suitable for skiing at any time of the day. Mirrored lenses are only suitable for riding on a clear sunny day.
Attention! The mask should fit snugly, but do not press on the face, causing discomfort. When using a helmet, keep in mind that the mask should cover the frontal part.
Ski mask for glasses
Visually impaired people are advised to purchase a model that allows you to combine wearing a mask and glasses. You can find it by the abbreviation OTG . Inside such a mask, an additional volume is provided, as if wrapping glasses. You should measure the frame in advance, and select a ski accessory from it.
When choosing, it should also be borne in mind that not only the lenses of the mask will fog up, but also glasses for vision. Therefore, high-quality ventilation of the Smith Optics Knowledge Turbo Fun OTG brand must be built into the model .
Attention! You should wipe the misted lenses with a clean, dry cloth so that hard-to-remove stains remain on them.
Professional skiers prefer not to try their luck, when choosing an accessory, they immediately look who the manufacturer is.
Preferred brands are preferred:
- The Uvex brand has long established itself and is popular. The cost of points of such a brand on average is 2000-3000 rubles.
- Dragon has a higher price of 5, 000-8, 000 rubles.
- Oakley and Marker - 3, 000-6, 000 rubles.
- Anon is a brand characterized by excellent quality optics and an affordable cost of 3, 000-6, 000 rubles.
It is better not to save money on quality products, and responsibly approach the choice of model. Otherwise, serious damage to the retina due to the blinding sun or other injury can result in poor visibility. A spontaneous choice should not deprive athletes of the pleasure of skiing from the highest mountain.