For example, it could be a string bag. Then you can save on packages, at the same time feeling like a fighter for the environment. Or make a stylish product in a crease, decorated with bows or frills. Finally, you can make a sports handbag like a change bag!
We’ll tell you how to sew a practical bag with your own hands.
Preparing fabric for alteration
Using a stripper or sharp scissors, gently strip the fabric from the umbrella frame. The main thing is not to spoil! Most likely, the fabric needs to be washed and ironed ! Otherwise, the finished thing will not look too neat.
The seam that processed the edge of the umbrella is cut off, removing all the threads. The seams with which the wedges are sewn remain.
TIP . It is advisable to wash waterproof nylon economically with cold water.
Sew a shopping bag
The bag model is a stylish string bag without bottom and lining.
To make it, you will need only an already prepared awning from an umbrella, scissors, threads and a sewing machine.
Fold the awning in half so that the inside is inside, and the halves of the bendable wedges on each side are the same. The fold line is the bottom of the future bag.
Important! The synthetics used to make the umbrellas glides heavily. It is necessary to ensure that the halves of the future product do not disperse.
Aligning the material, we apply the pattern paper strictly in the center to understand how big the bag can be. On average, its height is about 46–48 cm, width is about 40 cm.
Now we simulate the pattern. In appearance, the pattern resembles an alcoholic T-shirt: “straps”, a rounded neckline between them and, as it were, cuts for the hands.
From the "straps" then sew pens.
- Total height - 46–48 cm.
- Side height - 30–32 cm.
- The width of the bottom is 40–42 cm.
- The height from the bottom to the notch between the “straps” is 32–34 cm (a couple of centimeters longer than the height of the sides).
- The width of the “straps” is 6 cm, between their tops there should be a space of 18–20 cm.
- The upper parts of the "straps" (5 cm from the edge) should maintain a width of 6 cm, then they gradually expand.
- Connect the halves of the fabric with pins. The pattern must be crushed with something heavy and circled along the contours.
- Without removing the pins, we carefully cut along the contour, the allowances are already laid . We remove the pins.
- We take the cut sections of the tent, also folded exactly together inside out. We break off with pins and impose a pattern on them so that the upper part fits - the handles and about 8 cm from the top of the sides . We circle and cut, these will be the details for hardening the handles of the bag.
- We have a gaping hole in the middle of the future bag string, before the tip of the umbrella came out from there. It must be sewn up. For this , two pentagons of scraps of fabric are needed . We are preparing a template on paper: the distance from the center to any of the corners is 5 cm, the size of each side is 4.5 cm.
- Circle one pentagon and cut along the contour, the second - with an allowance of 1 cm from the main contour . This part will be needed to handle the hole on the outside of the bag.
- We process allowances by wrapping them from the edges to the wrong side by 1 cm and stitching with a basting seam.
- We put the smaller pentagon on the hole in the bottom of the bag from the inside, pin and attach along the contour on a typewriter .
- We do the same with the large pentagon, but from the front.
ATTENTION It is better to first execute any detail on paper so as not to spoil the fabric, making a mistake in the calculations.
Now remember the details to enhance the durability of the handles of the bag.
- To do this, we apply one of them to the main part of the pattern from one edge face to face . Having fastened with pins, we sew the details along the “cut-out” and “cuts for the hands”. The seam is laid at a distance from the edge in the width of the foot of the machine .
- Sew another part similarly from the other edge. On the rounded parts of the pens on the allowances we make small notches.
- On one side of the bag we turn it on the front side of the handle, straighten out the allowances and iron it . We retreat a centimeter from the edge of the handles turned on the front side and stitch.
- On the other hand, we turn the handles on the wrong side .
- Having folded the blank for the bag in half, we insert the handles turned on the front side into the handles turned inside out, straighten. We chop off the tops of the handles and, stepping back from the top edge of 1.5 cm, lay the seam in the forward, then in the opposite directions.
- Stretching the bag on different sides, we get a completely stitched one handle. We repeat all the manipulations with the second handle.
Now we sew the bag on the sides. Having retreated half a centimeter from the edge, we lay a seam on the front side. Then, cutting the allowance to 3 mm from the seam, turn the bag inside out and lay the side seams at a distance of 7-8 mm from the edge.
TIP . If the density of the joints is in doubt, you can use doublerin to strengthen them.
It remains to process the edges of the reinforcing handle parts on the inside of the bag. To do this , they need to be twisted and sewn twice (1 mm from the bend). We fix these parts by laying on the sides along a short seam, we remove excess threads from everywhere.
A string bag from an umbrella is ready to go shopping!
- Pockets enhance the functionality of the bag .
- Do not throw away umbrella covers. They will come in handy when a decommissioned accessory goes for creativity. For example, on a bag attached to the inside of a bag, a mobile case, a bag for small things, etc.
- Is the umbrella fabric damaged in some places? We take the same material in contrasting colors and make stylish patches.