So that the four-legged friend is not cold in cold weather, looks stylish and spectacular, we dress them in special clothes for dogs. Buying such products in the store is expensive, so many dog owners sew clothes with their own hands. Trying on them a product for fitting is very difficult - the pet does not stand still, constantly trying to run away and twist.
Sewing clothes for your pet is easier if you make a dog mannequin with your own hands. This will be a universal product that will help to perfectly sew the necessary things.
Copy of the Fourth Friend: Necessary Measurements
To master sewing a dog mannequin, you can take a ready-made pattern from the Internet. However, due to the fact that dogs of even one breed have differences in size, it is necessary to learn how to take measurements from a dog.
Measurements for a pattern:
- Back length (measure the distance from the root of the tail to the location of the collar);
- In the widest place behind the front paw, we remove the volume of the chest;
- In the narrowest place near the hind leg we remove the volume of the abdomen;
- In the widest place we remove the volume of the neck;
- In the middle of the abdomen, from the base of the front paws to the hind legs, the distance between the paws is taken;
- At the widest places (closer to the base) we remove the girths of the front and rear paws;
- The length of the neck is measured in the middle in front of the line along which the volume of the neck was measured, to the base of the front legs;
- Head volume (if things with a hood or hats will be sewn);
- The lengths of the legs and the distance between the front and rear legs are measured.
For males, the distance from the front paw to the intimate place is additionally measured (for turning the opening).
Next, we make a pattern. If it does not work out, then you can take a similar pattern of a similar breed and fix a number of lines. It should look something like this:
Transfer patterns to fabric
Transfer the finished pattern of the dog's mannequin to the fabric. Choose knitwear with minimal stretch. In many master class materials, it is recommended to take artificial or natural (it will be better, but much more expensive) skin. So, it will be more stable and will last longer.
Any sewing person knows that when transferring the pattern, an additional distance of about 0.5-1 cm should be left for the seam. If you are sewing a mannequin for the first time and are unsure of the correctness of the pattern, leave a little more allowance.
We grind the details of the body with a rough seam and take measurements, comparing them with the control. If necessary, additionally sew or, on the contrary, sew parts.
When you are convinced that its details coincide with the control standards, you can sew them on a sewing machine.
First we sew the body, then we sew the paws, the head. Leave a small distance in the abdomen (at the tail) so that the product can be easily twisted.
Next, we stuff with a soft filler: syntepon or holofiber. Avoid excessive filling so that no bumps, hernias form.
The body should be soft, but fairly stable. When setting the dummy on four legs, it should not swing.
Sew on the tail and completely sew up the body with invisible monofilament (similar to fishing line).
Remember, when we sew, accuracy and care are necessary. Then the mannequin will accurately repeat the silhouette of the pet. And the clothes sewn on it will suit the dog and not create inconvenience to him when moving.
A copy of the four-legged pet, made according to our master class in bright fabrics, can become an unusual interior decoration.
master class - from an expert Olga Ivanova.